The Hotel 4 Cats have been so busy this summer, thank you to all of our visitors and their humans, we have neglected our Cat Facts. Today we will remedy that with numerous good and interesting facts about our furry feline friends:
- Mother cats carry their kittens by the scruff of its neck, only mother cats can do this without risk of injury and only with their kittens.
- Cats knead with their paws when they are happy.
- Cats can distinguish their owner’s moods. If you are stressed, your cat may detect it and act differently.
- In 1952, a Texas Tabby named Dusty set the record by having more than 420 kittens before having her last litter at age 18.
- What is the largest litter of surviving kittens on record? 14 born to Bluebell, a South African Persian.
- Cats have 290 bones in their bodies, and 517 muscles.
- There are three body types for a cat. Cobby type is a compact body, deep chest, short legs and broad head. The eyes are large and round. Muscular type is a sturdy body and round, full-cheeked head. Foreign type is a slender body, with long legs and a long tail. The head is wedge-shaped, with tall ears and slanting eyes.
- Cats do not “Meow” at other cats, only humans.
- Your cats age; 3 year old cats are 21 in human years. 8 year old cats are 40 in human years. 14 year old cats are 70 in human years.
- Indoor cats live nearly 3 times longer than outdoor cats; Indoor Cats live approximately 15 years, while the average age for an outdoor cat is only 3 to 5 years.